Thursday, February 12, 2015

Trying to educate her palate


The drive home tonight was awful.The Senators are playing at home and so the highway was crowded. It snowed on and off all day, so the roads were greasy and slippery, a horrible commute. I stopped at the grocery store for a few items and decided to pick up a bottle of wine at the wine shop there, instead of going to the liquor store for my usual Malbec-Shiraz.  I bought a bottle of merlot that I had never tried before.

At home, I poured myself a glass. It was very good. Dark red and tasting of cherries and berries. I offered Leah (my almost 15-year-old) a sip.

Me: Here, try this if you want. It's good. It tastes of cherries.

Leah takes a tiny sip, holds it in her mouth. Considers.

Me: Well, what do you think of the taste? It tastes like cherries, don't you think?

Leah: It tastes like peroxide on an open wound.

Me:.....

Me: But with an aftertaste of cherries, right?

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh haha, OK, there ya go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she's taking up drinking any time soon.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the type of comment I got from you at the same age :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still better than the time Rachel spat it back into your glass... your LAST glass

    ReplyDelete