Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Talking music with Rachel


In the car on the way back from grocery shopping last night:

Rae: I heard a David Bowie song in the grocery store.

Me: Really? Which one.

Rae: I don't know the name of it. It goes: "Oooooooooooh, somebody, something, something, oooooooooh, doo doo doo doo doo doo."

Me: Hmmm. I'm not sure I know that one. Jean Genie?

Rae: No, not that one. "Oooooooooooh, somebody, something, something, oooooooooh, doo doo doo doo doo doo."

Me: John, I'm only Dancing?

Rae [giving me the exasperated look in the rear-view mirror]: NO! [this pronunciation is all dragged out to two syllables and sounds like "noooowah"] I know *that* song. LISTEN: "Oooooooooooh, somebody, something, something, oooooooooh, doo doo doo doo doo doo."

Me: Oh, now I think I know. Blue Jean? [I hum a bit for her.]

Rae: Yes! That's it! You're not very good at this, you know. I had to sing it, like, 3 times.

*******************************

Getting our coats on in the front entryway this morning:

Rae: What's that song from Shrek?

Me: Which song?

Rae: The one about jumping up.

Me: Jumping up?

Rae: Yeah, about falling down and jumping up.

Me: Tubthumping?

Rae: What?

Me: Is it Tubthumping?

Rae: I don't know. How does that go?

Leah goes by blasting Florence + the Machine's Dog Days are Over from her iPod touch, with no earphones so we all can enjoy it.

Me: It's hard to think about one song when you're listening to another song. [Singing] "He drinks a whisky drink, he drinks a vodka drink, he drinks a lager drink, he drinks a cider drink.."

Rae: No, that's not it. It's about jumping, not drinking stuff.

Me: [singing again] "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never going to keep me down."

Rae: That's it! That's the one.

Me: It's the same song.

Rae: No it isn't.

Me: Yes it is.

Rae: [sighs wearily] If you say so.

The thing is, I don't think that song was ever on a Shrek soundtrack, so I don't know which song she was actually thinking about. And really, I don't want to know.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for that. I am going to have Tubthumping running in my head for the foreseeable future now! (Could be worse. At least it's not Katie Mellua)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the earworm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loth - You're welcome. And I have no idea who Katie Mellua is. Should I be grateful?

    Jen - Which one: Blue Jean or Tubthumping?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful -- those kinds of conversations can lead to impromptu fork-stabbings. And I'm with you - I don't think Tubthumping is on the Shrek soundtrack. Angus has this way of asking me to download a song on itunes and saying some part of the song with absolute authority as if he knows it's the right title -- and then it's not. Agh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:16 PM

    You're really no good at songs, are you?

    - Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, "Tubthumping" is not on the first Shrek album. Could it be "I'm a Believer" or maybe "All Star"???

    Damn, now I'm going to have to pull out that CD and give it a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god we are gonna have such a blast this summer, i can just see it now, the neighbors calling the cops on us for singing to the wee hrs of the night on the back deck, and if we spill wine on our bathing suits, well who the hell cares.3 more months girls!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete