Thursday, January 13, 2011

Be careful what you wish for


I am sorry for the long absence, but I've been a little....under the weather since Christmas, having hit the pulmonary lotto (thanks Jen, for that phrase) of pneumonia with a side of bronchitis. So I've been off work since New Year's, trying to rest and regain my strength while the antibiotics and steriods do their magic.

I thought I'd tell you about a conversation that happened on New Year's Eve. On holidays in Windsor, the girls and I went out for dinner with family to a Chinese restaurant in Lasalle. On the way out, the owner gave each of the girls a cellophane bag holding several fortune cookies. On the way to my sister's place in Belle River, the girls started eating the cookies and reading the fortunes.

Leah: Mum, listen to this fortune, it's weird: "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it." That doesn't sound bad.

Me: When you're a bit older, I'll read you a story called 'The Monkey's Paw'. It's really scary.

Leah: How is getting what you wish for scary?

Me: In the story, the wishes don't turn out like the people thought they would.

Rachel: I don't think that story would be scary at all.

Me: No? Why not?

Rachel: What's so scary about a bunch of monkeys getting their nails done?

Me: ......? [comprehension dawns] Rachel, it's "The Monkey's Paw" not "The Monkey Spa".

Rachel: Oh.

********************

I had occasion to revisit this subject with Leah a few days ago. I told her that I had been wishing for a week off work while she and her sister were at school, so that I could declutter and deep clean the house. Well, I got the week off alright, but was too weak to do more than lie on the couch watching True Blood and C.S.I. on DVD. I told her that I should have been careful what I wished for.

I think she gets it now.

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you have been ill, but Monkey Spa? Your girl is a genius! Gorilla Massages. Bonobo Pedicures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monkey spa. *snort* That girl is so funny.

    I hope you're starting to feel better. If not, I prescribe a strict regimen of Daniel Craig movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Such a good mother you are. But I think getting pneumonia just to illustrate a point is above and beyond the call of duty...

    - Jazz

    PS: At least you have a reason for not blogging. Me? I just can't be bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:35 PM

    That girl is hilarious, i miss them so much, i'm counting down the days till our pool party in July.I'm so glad your feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea of a monkey spa is kind of scary though, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the pneumonia and everything, but truthfully, getting a week off to watch True Blood sort of kicks the week off to clean up's ass in my book. Glad you're back at work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting thoughts I really enjoyed your blog

    ReplyDelete