Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A 'previously enjoyed' episode

Thanks everyone for your response to my wine-filled pity party of the other day. I'm surprised (in a good way) how many of you offered support and good advice. You guys rock. I ended up sending an email to my director pointing out that the way this had been handled was less than ideal, and we have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the situation.

That's assuming that I'm back at work tomorrow, seeing as I've come down this morning with the cholera/ebola/dysentery/stomach flu that seems to be going around Ottawa right now. My brain is mush and I'm logging more time in the bathroom than on the computer. So, since the girls had swimming lessons last night, and I got to sit around a warm, chlorine-y pool and look at the *ahem* scenery, I decided that this was a good post to pull from the archives. It'll have to do for now.

Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson

I took the girls to swim classes late this afternoon. Since they aren't the same age nor are they at the same skill level, they are in different classes. I couldn't schedule them at the same time, so Rae's class is 4:30 to 5:00, and Leah's is 5:00 to 5:30. Leah and I sit together on the pool deck and watch Rae's class, and then Rae comes out and wraps up in a towel and we watch Leah's class.

I had just finished reading Robert Munsch's Smelly Socks to Rachel, when a movement in the corner of my eye caught my attention. A man had come out of the changing room into the pool area and was walking away from me. Clad only in black swim trunks and (and this should have been the tip off) a red tank that said 'Instructor' on the back -- he was stunning. My breath was literally taken away for a moment. Tall, blondish hair, wide shoulders, muscular arms, a nice back and legs. Yup, all in all, eye candy. Radiating lines of deliciousness (fans of Grey's Anatomy will get this allusion). I might have drooled. Just a little, you know, in a lady-like way.

Then he turned around. Turns out I know him slightly.

When I met him last summer at an impromptu backyard bonfire party, he was wandering around with a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows tucked under his arm and eating a Mr. Freezie. We talked about the book for a bit and he told me how he was available....TO BABYSIT so he could earn gas money for when he borrows his dad's car. CRAP. He's the son of someone in my neighbourhood, and she's younger than I am. He's maybe seventeen.

I just want to take my brain out and scrub it now.

15 comments:

  1. Depending on when this episode occurred, the boy might just be a Legal Adult now.

    Coo coo ca-choo, Mrs. Robinson...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jen hon. As long as he's 18 and closer to your age than you kids....

    I hope your feeling better soon and good luck with your meeting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Thank you for this post... its hilarious! I love good piece of eye candy... even if he needs gas money to drive Mom's car!!!

    Good for you for sending an email off... its good to get things off your chest now instead of letting it fester, I hope something good comes from it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:13 PM

    Good you for the email and meeting.

    Bad you for oogling jail bait.

    Sad you for being ill.

    I hope you recover asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, like the moment I discovered that the very cute and very nice junior cashier in my office was born in 1988. 1988!! No-one born in 1998 should be old enough to drink and drive. And I should not be old enough to be their mother.

    Thanks for popping over to my blog, by the way. I'm off for a rummage around your place now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It happens to all of us, sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL cradle robber.. well sort of. :P

    feel better :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am pleased that you are meeting with your director. It's better to do that face to face. Just remember to keep your cool, you will come across as more credible. Also, keep the focus on how you were treated rather than the loss of your office. You can't change losing your office, but you, hopefully, can change the tactics (ie conflict avoidance) used by management in the future. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha. This summer my daughter's Blastball coach was a dead ringer for my high school boyfriend -- even my husband noticed. I couldn't stop staring at him and I was afraid his parents were going to file a restraining order.
    Sending good germ-free karma.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got to be kidding me. Why waste a good scrub? He's eye candy. Besides, would you rather have some guy who's 34 and still living with Mom? No. I don't think so.

    Wish you were closer, (and/or the buses were moving). Let me know if there is something that I can do from here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you are feeling better soon. Winter and sick, not a fun combination.

    Loved that post then, and do still. How old do you think he is now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha! i'm going through this at the local pool now. you look around at all these pot-bellied dads with their kids, which is kind of endearing, but you can't help but compare them to these awesome looking lifeguards!
    good for you re. the Director. Bonne Chance, and let us know his/her reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahahhaha...
    We went for a swim en famille. I was working the knots out my legs in the hot tub when smack dab in front is Mr. Perfect Chest. Guns, abs... and get this he's carrying his little girl. I must admit I did a triple take.

    The Man totally called me on it. "Like that do you?" I think he may have been slightly hurt. Oh well... shrug...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I though I would be pretty safe reading my aunts blog.....maybe I should rethink my decision!!! LOL
    Hope you feel better aunt alison.
    And hope things go well with the director!!
    =)

    ReplyDelete