Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bloggers, awards, and not enough sex

It was a pretty stellar weekend, all in all.

Friday night I did something I don't do often enough. I got a babysitter and went out to the movies with my friend Shell. Quantum of Solace was pretty good, except Daniel Craig wasn't naked nearly enough for my liking. Hell, he didn't even have sex with the main Bond girl, and all the movie stills I can find show him disappointingly well clothed.





Still, my pretend fiancé looked pretty good, and there were chases and fights galore. Shell and I ended up at my place drinking wine and eating pizza afterwards. A very fun evening.
I had been looking forward to Saturday for quite a while. XUP and Zoom had organized an Ottawa-area bloggers brunch, and once again I found myself walking into a place where I knew no-one except for through their blogs. It was great! XUP was exactly how I had imagined her, though a little shorter (hee), and it was so cool to put a face to the words that I've been reading and admiring for some time now. Meeting Nat and Meanie was a real treat after reading them both for so long, too. It's weird in a way, but a good weird, to not have met people face-to-face before, yet still be able to ask how they enjoyed the trip to Chicago and commiserate with them on the puking Doritos incident, and say how cute their son's Halloween costume was. I also got to meet the dynamic duo of Jobthingy and Maven, who were funny and interesting, and made it all the more sad that I had to leave to pick up my kids long before I wanted to. I have been very lucky meeting fellow bloggers before, and this was no exception. Thanks to XUP and Zoom, and I hope we do it again soon, when I can stay longer and talk to more people.
Then, today, I found out I've been nominated for a Canadian Blog Award!! How cool is that? Party of 3 has been nominated for Best Family Blog. Wow. (I'd like to thank the Academy.....) I'm not expecting to make it past the first round, seeing as I'm up against biggies like the Redneck Mommy, Postcards from the Mothership, and Cheaper than Therapy, but I'm still all excited about this. (And if you'd like to vote for me, you can go here and do it. Please vote for me, please, for the love of God But no pressure.)

And now for those of you who skimmed down this far trying to find out about the 'not enough sex' part of the title -- I was talking about the movie. Sheesh. Minds in the gutter, all of you. But stay tuned. On that subject, the next post will be about having The Talk with Leah.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:13 PM

    Congrats! Naturally, I voted for you. :-)

    Bummer about the lack of nekkidness in the movie, but it's just as well that we all can't see your pretend fiance in the buff or else we'd all be jealous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We TRIED to get into Bond Saturday night (even had advanced tickets from online) but ended up seeing Changeling instead. PS... um, maybe you should add *spoiler alert* at the top of your post (lol). Since when does Bond not have sex with girl!?

    Congrats on the Nom. Woop woop!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vote was just entered. I had the "talk" with Christopher about 6 months ago. It actually went quite well. (of course, being a boy, it should have come from his father...but I think he's still waiting for someone to have the "talk" with him...snort...he'd kill me if he knew I wrote that down here!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta see that movie.

    Sounds like a great weekend. I don't go out and get a babysitter much but I have the luck of my kids going to see Dad every other weekend, for the most part.

    congrats on the nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the nomination!

    It was so good to meet face-to-face. Poor XUP is going to have a complex about her height. LOL.

    Not enough nekkidness ... definitely a wait for TMN then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:06 AM

    I will definitely go vote for you!

    And, The Talk, huh? Can't wait to hear how that went...

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY, You totally deserve the award!
    I migh go see that movie on Wed with hus. I saw Twilight on Sat with my girlfriends and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Alison!!!
    I have gone over and voted.

    And the eye candy. Thanks for that too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH no not "the talk". I hated giving the talk. My oldest daughter remembers it fondly and thinks it hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:27 PM

    Yes, I totally have a complex about my height now. Nat thinks I was taller that she pictured, you think I'm shorter. Wait - no, that balances out, so I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you've got my vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally unrelated to your post ... we need your help on my blog! Today! Now! I know you know #4! Come! Play!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, and OF COURSE I voted for you!

    Good for your for getting some me time! It's what we mothers get to little of sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hmm i felt this need to vote.. strange :P

    it was so awesome meeting you..

    i for sure cant wait to do it again

    ReplyDelete